Friday, October 8, 2010

Why I Work at the American Cancer Society

by Ann McNamara, VP Annual Giving & CRM I worked in Corporate America and through one of those jobs I was exposed to the American Cancer Society as a volunteer. When a position opened up my staff partner suggested that I explore the position and I was thrilled. As I needed to know that my hard work would go to benefit others - vs- shareholders. Well that was 16 years, 4 positions ago and it has been a wild ride. I came to the Society for a wish to do more and honor my grandmother who I lost to cancer but I stay because each day: • is different, • is challenging, • we can invite new people to get involved, • allows me to work with a team of individuals who are mission driven, • allows me to be innovative • work towards a greater good • allows me to leave a footprint • allows to help people I will never meet • I am humbled by the stories and commitment of our volunteers. My advice to someone considering working at the American Cancer Society is this...It is not a job; it is a lifestyle. You have to realize that fighting cancer doesn't end at 5:00. That if you do your job with heart and passion you are out in the community (no matter your role) as a representative of the American Cancer Society and you are always looking for ways to get more people to give of their time, talent and treasure. As I look back over the past 1 1/2 decades of work here, I can't believe that much time has gone by. The Society is an ever evolving, changing, challenging and vibrant place to spend your time away from your loved ones. So if you think you are up to a "lifestyle" job - come join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment